*PLEASE NOTE: This is the scholarship for the SUMMER SCHOOL PLANNING and DESIGN WITH WATER.
TU DELFT has other scholarships for Sub-Saharan Africa students to attend our regular MASTER COURSES. You can get information about these scholarships HERE.
Please read carefully. This is the protocol for application for the Sub- Saharan Africa Scholarship for the Summer School Planning and Design with Water at the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment of the TU Delft, in the Netherlands.
This scholarship is intended for passport holders of countries in Sub-Saharan Africa between 22 and 28 years of age, studying in the following areas:
- Urban design
- Spatial planning (town, urban and regional planning)
- Environmental engineering
- Water engineering
- Urban law and management
- Political sciences
- Public administration
- Areas that have a close relationship with planning and design of sustainable cities and communities.
You have to follow the instructions carefully in order to apply for the scholarship. If you fail to deliver one of the items required, we will not be able to take your candidacy into account.
The scholarship includes
- A round-trip ticket between your country of origin and Amsterdam. The ticket will be organised and bought by TU Delft upon selection of the candidate and the granting of a Dutch visa. If a visa is not granted to you for whatever reason, the scholarship is automatically cancelled.
- The fees for the SummerSchool (500 euros) will be waived.
- A small amount of pocket money, enough for meals and transport during 20 days in the Netherlands.
- Accommodation during your stay (you might be housed with a TU Delft student during the period of the Summer School). Note: we only arrange accommodation for recipients of the Sub-Saharan Africa scholarship. All other students must find accommodation by themselves.
The scholarship does not include
- The fee for the Dutch visa in your country.
- Your health insurance (mandatory for students coming to the Netherlands. Please, look for international health insurance in your own country, as conditions and prices vary from country to country. You can google it! We cannot give you any information about health insurance:you have to find information by yourself in your own country).
- Any extra costs incurring from your stay (trips, transfers or other activities not included in the Summer School programme, including fines resulting from breaches of the law, damage to others and accidents. You must be insured).
- You need to write a 800-word motivation letter*. In this letter, you need to explain: Who you are and what makes you special. Where were you born? What’s your personal story? Do you have hobbies? Do you practice sports? Are you talented in something? How do you do at school? Why do you want to participate in the summer school? How will the summer school impact your education and future professional life? What are the main challenges for your city in the 21st century? How do you see your own role in tackling those challenges? How do you see the role of spatial planners or designers in the future of our cities and in society? What’s the role of spatial planners, architects and other professionals in our world in turmoil?* Don’t forget to include your full name, contact details, school you are attending and the name of your course at the top of the letter. Remember, we will also assess your level of proficiency in English through this letter, so it is important that your English is correct and clear. Please, keep the letter to a maximum of 800 words. See how to write a good motivation letter HERE.
- A short CV (max two A4s) with your main achievements.
- A short movie (3 minutes max) of yourself saying hello and saying who you are and why you would like to participate in the Summer School (you can make a movie with your smart phone. If you don’t have a smart phone, maybe you can borrow one from a friend. If you can’t make the movie, please tell us. You will not be disqualified). Please, see how to prepare a good introduction video HERE.
- A recommendation letter from a teacher. This letter must contain your teacher’s name, position, department and contact details and must be signed and stamped. You don’t need to add your architectural/design portfolio.
- Signed transcript/grade summary from your institution.
- Put all your materials in a digital folder titled with your NAME+AFRICA (you can compress the files if they are too big), a short note explaining what the email is about, and send the file to email@example.com via the website https://wetransfer.com until 1st APRIL. Please write “SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA Scholarship” in the subject field. You will receive a notification. If wetransfer.com doesn’t work in your country, please make a ZIP file and transfer it to the address above. Please do not use DROPBOX or other transfer methods
- DON’T FORGET TO LABEL ALL THE FILES YOU SENT US WITH YOUR FIRST NAME + LAST NAME + AFRICA. Example: John+Smith+Africa. doc
- You need to comply with ALL REQUIREMENTS to be eligible for this scholarship. (The only item we are flexible about is the short movie, but you need to give us a very good reason not to make a movie).
- Fill in the form below carefully, and don’t forget to mark the option “Sub-Saharan African Scholarship”. Fill in the form below: