Delft Global and the department of Urbanism invite young African teachers, researchers, and public servants to apply for this special scholarship.
This scholarship is intended for young (younger than 35 y.o.) African teachers who wish to attend the Summer School Planning and Design with Water, organised yearly by the Department of Urbanism of the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment of the TU Delft.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: April 15th 2018.
This scholarship is relevant because the Summer School offers training in two crucial elements for Africa:
- Spatial planning and urban design of resilient sustainable cities, with an introduction to the Dutch style of plan-making and water management
- Innovative, interactive and practical education, with a good overview of methods and teaching styles at TU Delft
The decision to recruit a young teacher has to do with her/his capacity to act as a multiplier of knowledge acquired at the Summer School in her/his institution in Africa. We emphasise opportunities for young female African teachers.
This scholarship also offers the opportunity to create more links with African higher education institutions for future research and educational partnerships.
- Be 35 years old or younger by December of the year of application
- Be affiliated to a higher education or research institution, or to a local or national government
- Be able to provide proof of affiliation (letter confirming you are affiliated to an institution)
- Be able to speak fluent English
- Be able to teach the principles learned at the Summer School at their institutions of origin (they must have a teaching or instructor position)
APPLICATION STEP BY STEP
- Please read the conditions for this scholarship before applying, and make sure you are eligible
- Write a motivation letter of no more than one page explaining your ideas and how you can benefit from the Summer School. This is a PERSONAL letter, so you should avoid using clichés and sentences that you find on model motivation letters. We are interested in you as a person and as a teacher
- Prepare a two-page CV with your academic and professional information. Don’t forget to explain your activities as a teacher/ instructor or researcher
- Add a LETTER from your institution confirming that you are affiliated and what is your role in the institution
- PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOT GOING TO ANALYSE YOUR DESIGN PORTFOLIO
- Send the letters and CV to Summer School BK TU Delft mentioning YOUNG AFRICAN TEACHER SCHOLARSHIP
- Please mention your SKYPE address in the email.
- If you are pre-selected, we will invite you for a SKYPE interview
- One week after the SKYPE interview, you will be informed whether you were selected or not
- Motivation letter, expressing the reasons why the candidate would like to attend the Summer School and how it can contribute to her/his training and education. The motivation letter should also mention how the candidate wishes to disseminate/ circulate knowledge acquired
- Short CV, with qualifications and specialism highlighted and explaining your activities as a teacher or instructor
- Skype Interview with members of a 3-person committee
- Results are made public one week after the SKYPE interviews take place
- Be present at ALL sessions of the Summer School and take part of the school actively, participating in one of the groups
- Be able to write a text of approximately 3000 words on the insights of the Summer School for their own national conditions
- Be able to write a short 500 text explaining their impressions and findings in the Summer School
- Be able to deliver a short 30 minute lecture explaining the challenges of urbanisation in their country of origin (alternatively, and in agreement with the organisation of the Summer School, candidates can talk about their current research endeavours or professional practice)
The winner of the scholarship will have the following benefits:
|Ticket from country of origin to Amsterdam||€700|
|Boarding at a HOSTEL in Delft for the period of the Summer School + a few extra days for sightseeing and networking||€700|
|Meals and transportation||€400|
** These are maximum amounts. Candidates may choose to spend more or less in each item. In case there is excess spending, the candidate will cover the rest of the amount. TU Delft is not responsible for financing a candidate beyond 1800 euros.
Upon completion of the programme, candidates will receive a certificate of their participation in the Summer School.
Scholarship sponsored by: